Thursday, March 11, 2010

Law of Attraction: Small Book, Big Ideas

The science of attracting more of what you want, and less of what you don't want... I've heard a lot about this book, "The Law of Attraction," so I decided to steal it from the library and read it. It's a quick read and actually I ended up flipping through the last half because it's a bit corny overall. Yes, there I said it.

I did like the overall concept, and I mean this is what we've got to do isn't it... look at the actual message, the bigger picture and how it can be applied to real life. You take the good with the bad. On with the good.

The biggest question to ask is "What do I want?" It all comes down to this question. Once you figure this out, everything falls into place (with a little work here and there I might add). Once you figure it out, you can focus your attention on it.... you can "allow" it to happen in your life. Basically, you attract into your life whatever you think about. It works along the lines of energy. Positive vs negative energy or vibes. Like one big magnet of attraction.

It doesn't go into much detail on the "science behind it all" - and that I think would be interesting to investigate. But there is truth in the idea of energy and the power of the brain.

The idea of constrast comes into play - the things you don't like, don't want, doesn't 'feel good' or causes you to be in a negative mood. If you are focusing on these things, giving it attention you will end up getting more of the same. So by looking at this kind of thing, the "contrast" in your life, you can turn it into clarity. The "clarity through contrast" process. List the things you don't like and turn them into things you do like, or would like in the future. For example, looking back on past relationships, I would be tempted to say "I don't want someone who is angry." The focus being on the don't want, rather than the do want. "I do want someone who is positive and strives to control his/her emotions." And this, is what I would focus on attracting.

It book also talks about doubt, and limiting beliefs. We all have them. The reasons we "can't" do something. I'd like to do this, but I can't because of that. Well throw that junk out of your head and ALLOW it. Think of reasons why you could. (I'm sure there's a quote about that kicking around out there somewhere, focusing on why you can instead of can't do something...)

None of the ideas in the book are really anything "new" but it's all about where you focus your thoughts and energy... manifesting what you actually want, instead of the patterns and cycles of what you don't want...but keep getting. The mind is a powerful thing, so yes, I believe this could and actually does work, to the extent that we allow it, and contribute to its success.


"Positive and negative emotions cannot occupy the mind at the same time. One or the other must dominate. It is your responsibility to make sure that positive emotions constitute the dominating influence of your mind." ~ Napolean Hill

So, what do you want?

2 comments:

Brian said...

Dig, dig, dig your playlist. Two Weeks has been in my head for the last few days. That's a sweet little widget, I actually had the idea of doing a themed-playlist recurring feature and that's the perfect format.

Anyway, on the science of attraction... this is a little more specific to person-to-person attraction, sexuality, etc. but you might try some light research on Oxytocin. It's a really interesting hormone that seems to play a role in people falling for each other and a myriad of other things.

Mantramine said...

I know where you can get some Oxytocin...

ask if you dare :)