Friday, January 30, 2009

Wake Up Call

There were creepy little squiggling spaghetti worms on the entrance mat...compliments of Twitchy's belly. It was my worst nightmare becoming reality...my precious cat was dying a slow and painful death, being eaten alive from the inside out. Thankfully, this was not the case. I took him into the vet and they gave him a simple pill, as well as his shots. Unfortunately, I don’t think he appreciated any of this and is sulking around outside disgruntled.

Apparently, it is fairly common for cats that play outdoors to breathe the airborne larvae in, only to have them fester in their stomachs a week or two later. The larvae are found in infested poop that may be left by another cat or mammal, or on infested rodents. It was probably the big fat mouse he left on the step last week but who knows. All I know is it was horrible and I hope for both our sakes it doesn’t happen again! This mess was a kick in the butt for not being a responsible human and taking him in to visit the vet sooner; however I will be on my best behavior from now on...I promise.

No comments: